16 Dec 2009

Peter Tatchell steps down as Green Party candidate for Oxford East

My friend Peter Tatchell has resigned as Green Party candidate for Oxford East because of health problems.

He was badly beaten at a demonstration for gay rights in Russia, the injury has slowed him down and sadly he has stepped down.

This is a blow to the Green Party but his health must come first. Every time I run into him I tell to take some rest, we need him and he needs to look after himself.

'The brain damage caused by Mugabe’s thugs in Brussels in 2001 and by neo-Nazis in Moscow in 2007 has been compounded by head injuries in an accident while I was campaigning in Devon in July. A bus on which I was travelling swerved and braked sharply. I was thrown forward,hitting my head on a metal hand rail.'

Sad news.

No comments:

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...